Cultural performances mark 150th anniversary of Indian police
New Delhi: Dance, musical soiree and daredevil acts by different police forces from across the country marked the event `Spandan` to celebrate the 150th anniversary on Indian police here on Saturday.
The event was kicked off by the colourful `Chaita` song by the Bihar Police celebrating the harvest season, followed by Garba by the Gujarat Police.
Vice President Hamid Ansari and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde were present on the occasion.
The daredevil acts performed by the women battalion of the CRPF was one of the highlights of the day. The audience was treated to their exemplary acts with weapons and martial act tactics showcasing their abilities to take on any opponent.
NSG commandos did a mid-air performance wherein they slid down from a rope from a hovering helicopter.
"This is a unique achievement for us. Spandan, the work, `beat` that harmonises the functioning of the Indian Police in its various facets. The event also showcases the enhanced role and empowerment of women in the Indian Police as today they stand ready to face and challenge that threaten the country," Director of Intelligence Bureau Nehchal Sandhu said.
"The Prime Minister has announced a medal for all serving police personnel to recognise the contribution of the police," Sandhu said.
The different events, including power-packed `Kalaripayattu` with the use of different weapons including swords and lathis, were held by the Kerala police.
The UP police performed the world-renowned `Malkhamb` while the J&K police showcased the beauty of the land by a colourful, fun-filled musical performance. The extraordinary rifle drill by women Assam Police and the bike stunts by the Himachal Pradesh Mahila Police `Hind Sentinels` showcased the might of the ever-growing women force.
The Police Act of 1861 is acknowledged to have marked the start of formal policing in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?