Cultural performances mark 150th anniversary of Indian police
New Delhi: Dance, musical soiree and daredevil acts by different police forces from across the country marked the event `Spandan` to celebrate the 150th anniversary on Indian police here on Saturday.
The event was kicked off by the colourful `Chaita` song by the Bihar Police celebrating the harvest season, followed by Garba by the Gujarat Police.
Vice President Hamid Ansari and Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde were present on the occasion.
The daredevil acts performed by the women battalion of the CRPF was one of the highlights of the day. The audience was treated to their exemplary acts with weapons and martial act tactics showcasing their abilities to take on any opponent.
NSG commandos did a mid-air performance wherein they slid down from a rope from a hovering helicopter.
"This is a unique achievement for us. Spandan, the work, `beat` that harmonises the functioning of the Indian Police in its various facets. The event also showcases the enhanced role and empowerment of women in the Indian Police as today they stand ready to face and challenge that threaten the country," Director of Intelligence Bureau Nehchal Sandhu said.
"The Prime Minister has announced a medal for all serving police personnel to recognise the contribution of the police," Sandhu said.
The different events, including power-packed `Kalaripayattu` with the use of different weapons including swords and lathis, were held by the Kerala police.
The UP police performed the world-renowned `Malkhamb` while the J&K police showcased the beauty of the land by a colourful, fun-filled musical performance. The extraordinary rifle drill by women Assam Police and the bike stunts by the Himachal Pradesh Mahila Police `Hind Sentinels` showcased the might of the ever-growing women force.
The Police Act of 1861 is acknowledged to have marked the start of formal policing in India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal
- Fitoor movie review: Tabu overpowers, Katrina Kaif, Aditya Roy Kapur leave a lasting impact!