‘Curb on EC’ a media creation: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday dismissed reports claiming that it is planning to take the model code of conduct out of the purview of the Election Commission and termed the whole issue as a ‘misconception’ fuelled by the media.
Addressing the press after a meeting of the Group of Ministers (GOM) on corruption – which had the issue on its agenda (as per media reports) – Minister of State in the PMO V Narayansamy said, “Yesterday, some controversy has been raised on model code of conduct, our ministry had given a press release but some confusion remains. I would like to say that the term of reference of the GoM does not include model code of conduct.”
“So today, during the meeting, it was not discussed. So the question of it being deliberated upon doesn’t arise,” he added.
When the minister’s attention was attracted towards the ‘agenda note’ published by a newspaper today morning, he dismissed it by saying: “At the time of discussions suggestions come but it is not part of the terms of reference.”
Moreover, he blamed the media for the controversy. “It is a media creation. There is misconception,” he quipped.
Chief Election Commissioner SY Quraishi had termed the government’s reported move as “highly misconceived” and aimed at curbing the powers of the Election Commission.
On the issues discussed by the GoM on corruption, headed by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Narayanasamy said that the Public Procurement Bill has been cleared today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof