Curfew lifted from entire Kashmir Valley barring Anantnag
Srinagar: Barring Anantnag town in South
Kashmir, curfew was Wednesday lifted from the entire Kashmir
Valley with people flocking markets to buy essentials.
Apprehending law and order problem in Anantnag where
a youth was allegedly killed in firing by security forces on
August 30, curfew remained in force in the town, official
Elsewhere in the Valley, normal life resumed after
hardline Hurriyat Conference led by Syed Ali Shah Geelani
suspended the agitation programme.
Shops and other commercial establishments opened early
in the morning after remaining closed for the past four days.
Schools and other educational institutions also opened today
while all modes of public transport could be seen plying on
The markets were agog with activity with locals
stocking up essentials. Serpentine queues were seen outside
banks and ATMs.
However, there were protests in Srinagar`s Maisuma
locality, where a youth was shot at and critically injured by
a policeman on August 30.
The Valley has been rocked by violence following the
death of a teenager on June 11 after he was allegedly hit by a
tear smoke shell near Rajouri Kadal area of the old city.
Street protests broke out in the Valley which has claimed 65
lives so far.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference