Cutting across party lines, leaders condemn Mumbai gang-rape
New Delhi: Cutting across political lines, leaders today expressed anguish over the gangrape of a 23-year-old photojournalist in Mumbai.
Condemning the incident, Union communications and information technology minister Kapil Sibal said outside the Parliament, "We cannot afford to let our women and children live in insecurity and must make sure that such attacks against women are dealt in the severest manner."
Calling the incident an unfortunate one, Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar said, "A new legislation was proposed in the Parliament few days after after the December 23 gangrape in Delhi. I hope the legislation will now be implemented in this case."
BJP leader Najma Heptullah also condemned the incident and said there is no law and order in the country.
"There is no fear of law in the minds of people because they don`t get punished after committing such crimes. They get away with it," she said.
BSP supremo Mayawati said the Centre and state governments should take stern steps to prevent such crimes in the country.
"Unless Centre and the state governments take some concrete steps, it will be difficult to stop these kinds of incidents.
"Social and even religious organisations should also come forward to make people join the awareness campaign. Efforts should be from all sides to curb such incidents," she said.
Sanjay Raut, Shiv Sena MP and party spokesperson blamed the Maharashtra state government for its lackadaisical attitude and said, "Such a big incident of gangrape has happened in Mumbai. What is the government doing? What is the home department, police force, intelligence and vigilance department doing? Law and order in Mumbai, Pune and Maharashtra is in shambles. Women and even school girls are not safe anymore.
Congress MP Priya Dutt reacting to the incident said, "It is extremely shocking. Mumbai is the city we have grown up in and never felt insecure...But definitely, there has been a change in circumstances."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof