CVC awaits sanction to punish 49 officials
New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission is awaiting nod from different departments for over four months to prosecute 49 government officials for their alleged involvement in corruption.
Of the total of 29 cases involving the officials, 11 are related to Ministry of Finance, four to Ministry of Railways and two each to State Bank of India, Ministry of Mines and Ministry of Home Affairs among others.
Besides, one case each involving officials of Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, United bank of India, Dena Bank, Canara Bank, Industrial Development Bank of India (IDBI), Cabinet Secretariat, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) and Government of National Capital Territory of Delhi was pending for sanction of prosecution for over four months, according to a latest data of the probity watchdog.
"A reminder has been sent to the concerned departments citing details of a recent Supreme Court verdict on granting sanction for prosecution within four months time," a CVC official said.
Citing the verdict, the CVC has said that "time limit of three months for grant of sanction for prosecution must be strictly adhered to. However, additional time of one month may be allowed where consultation is required with the Attorney General or any other law officer in the AG`s office".
CVC officials said that there has been a delay in many cases beyond "considerable time" for grant of sanction for prosecution against corrupt government officials.
"The permission to prosecute such officials acts as a deterrent in the drive to eradicate corruption and bring transparency in the system," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical