CVC for CBI probe into alleged loan scam in HUDCO
New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission
has recommended a CBI probe to unearth "criminal conspiracy" in an alleged loan scam in state-run HUDCO which led to a loss of Rs 50 crore meant for creating houses for people living
below the poverty line.
Officials said that certain irregularities on part of
unknown officials in the public sector unit in connivance with
private persons have resulted in a huge loss to the exchequer
and needed to be investigated.
"The Commission referred a case relating to
irregularities in sanctioning a loan by HUDCO to a firm which
has resulted into an non-performing asset with an outstanding
of Rs 49.17 crore for investigation from criminal angle to
CBI," a CVC official said.
The anti-corruption watchdog, after perusing a detailed report from HUDCO in this regard, agreed that there was gross violation of official procedures in granting a loan.
"In addition, there was lack of efforts on part of HUDCO
officials to realise the sum meant for creating houses for
people living below the poverty line," he said.
The official said that all relevant documents related to
the case were sent to the CBI and a preliminary enquiry may be
The Housing and Urban Development Corporation Limited or
HUDCO was incorporated in 1970 as a fully owned enterprise of
the Government of India with a social mandate to meet the
housing needs of the poor and disadvantaged sections of the
It also provides loan assistance to weaker sections at
subsidised interests rates and undertakes special projects for
such category of clients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...