CVC for CBI probe into alleged loan scam in HUDCO
New Delhi: The Central Vigilance Commission
has recommended a CBI probe to unearth "criminal conspiracy" in an alleged loan scam in state-run HUDCO which led to a loss of Rs 50 crore meant for creating houses for people living
below the poverty line.
Officials said that certain irregularities on part of
unknown officials in the public sector unit in connivance with
private persons have resulted in a huge loss to the exchequer
and needed to be investigated.
"The Commission referred a case relating to
irregularities in sanctioning a loan by HUDCO to a firm which
has resulted into an non-performing asset with an outstanding
of Rs 49.17 crore for investigation from criminal angle to
CBI," a CVC official said.
The anti-corruption watchdog, after perusing a detailed report from HUDCO in this regard, agreed that there was gross violation of official procedures in granting a loan.
"In addition, there was lack of efforts on part of HUDCO
officials to realise the sum meant for creating houses for
people living below the poverty line," he said.
The official said that all relevant documents related to
the case were sent to the CBI and a preliminary enquiry may be
The Housing and Urban Development Corporation Limited or
HUDCO was incorporated in 1970 as a fully owned enterprise of
the Government of India with a social mandate to meet the
housing needs of the poor and disadvantaged sections of the
It also provides loan assistance to weaker sections at
subsidised interests rates and undertakes special projects for
such category of clients.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!
- Gionee S6s smartphone for selfie lovers to be launched in India today