CVC issue: BJP wants govt statement in Parliament
New Delhi: With the Supreme Court quashing the appointment of PJ Thomas as the CVC, BJP on Thursday demanded a statement from the government in Parliament on the "serious" matter, specifying where the "mistake" was committed.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley raised the issue in the House soon after Thomas quit as the Central Vigilance Commissioner, saying the SC decision "vindicates great national aspiration".
He said the Apex court has passed "serious strictures against the government" and demanded a statement from the government, informing "how and why it (appointment of Thomas)
He spoke after BJP members created uproar over the issue with some of them trooping into the Well, chanting slogans like "woh sarkar nikami hai, jo brashtachar ko rok na paye (a government which cannot stop corruption is incompetent)."
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ashwani Kumar said he would convey the sentiments of BJP to the government.
In the Lok Sabha, Deputy Leader of BJP Gopinath Munde raised the issue.
"The Supreme Court has declared the appointment of Thomas as illegal. This is a serious matter," Munde said.
"We want the government to make a statement and tell the House where the mistake was committed by the government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof