CVC issue: BJP wants govt statement in Parliament
New Delhi: With the Supreme Court quashing the appointment of PJ Thomas as the CVC, BJP on Thursday demanded a statement from the government in Parliament on the "serious" matter, specifying where the "mistake" was committed.
Leader of the Opposition in Rajya Sabha Arun Jaitley raised the issue in the House soon after Thomas quit as the Central Vigilance Commissioner, saying the SC decision "vindicates great national aspiration".
He said the Apex court has passed "serious strictures against the government" and demanded a statement from the government, informing "how and why it (appointment of Thomas)
He spoke after BJP members created uproar over the issue with some of them trooping into the Well, chanting slogans like "woh sarkar nikami hai, jo brashtachar ko rok na paye (a government which cannot stop corruption is incompetent)."
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Ashwani Kumar said he would convey the sentiments of BJP to the government.
In the Lok Sabha, Deputy Leader of BJP Gopinath Munde raised the issue.
"The Supreme Court has declared the appointment of Thomas as illegal. This is a serious matter," Munde said.
"We want the government to make a statement and tell the House where the mistake was committed by the government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security