CVC likely to continue at least till SC hears plea: Cong
New Delhi: Controversial CVC PJ Thomas is
likely to continue at least till January 27, the date fixed by
the Supreme Court for hearing a plea seeking his removal from
the key post, sources in Congress on Monday said.
The ruling party also attacked BJP for trying to give
its "own verdict" on the CVC issue even before the apex court
could decide the matter.
"BJP can say anything. BJP wants an interim action
even before the Supreme Court can decide the case (on CVC),"
party spokesperson Abhishek Singhvi told reporters at the AICC
"I condemn those political entities and parties, who
are giving their own verdict before the SC giving it and are
thereby trying to act as the Super Supreme Court. This is
extremely unfortunate", he said cautioning against "absence
Singhvi said the matter is under investigation of the
Supreme Court and it would be unfair, condemnable and
irresponsibile to read more or read less into the observations
made by the SC or to make comments on them.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, a senior party
leader said that since the court has issued notice to the
CVC on the plea seeking his removal from the key post which
will now be heard on January 27, the likelihood of Thomas
putting in his resignation at least before that date is very
The apex court on Monday issued notice to the government
on the petition challenging the appointment of Thomas as the
Central Vigilance Commissioner on the ground that he is facing
The court listed the matter for final hearing on January 27.
Thomas has expressed happiness over the Supreme Court
issuing notice to him, saying it will give him an opportunity
to present his case on the petition questioning his appointment.
Minister of State for Department of Personnel, Pensions and Public Grievances V Narayanasamy told reporters that the government will file all the details to the Supreme Court in response to its notice.
Asked whether the government was considering refusing
sanction of prosecution in vigilance case against Thomas in
Kerala, he said, "Everything will be done after due
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre