CVC to suggest changes in proposed Lokpal bill
New Delhi: The CVC will suggest to the Parliamentary Standing Committee certain changes in the proposed Lokpal bill and pitch for greater powers to prosecute
higher bureaucracy in corruption-related cases.
Senior officials in the country`s top anti-corruption body said that a detailed presentation explaining the Commission`s role in checking graft in government departments has been prepared for the perusal of the panel.
"There may be a conflict of interest in case the Lokpal comes into force in the form being envisaged by civil society. The Commission is given wide powers to probe any complaints of corruption involving central government officials including
those working in banks and public sector units, which will also be vested with the Lokpal," a CVC official said, requesting anonymity.
The Commission, comprising Central Vigilance Commissioner Pradeep Kumar and two of his deputies R Srikumar and JM Garg, will present their views in this regard on September 7 before the House committee on Personnel, Public Grievances, Law
"We will explain that there has to be proper division of work between the CVC and proposed Lokpal. The powers of two bodies should not be made contradictory to hamper probe in corruption cases. We need certain changes in it.
"The panel should consider incorporating either the Central Vigilance Commissioner or one of the two Vigilance Commissioners into the Lokpal for smooth functioning," the official said refusing to divulge further details on the CVC`s presentation.
The House panel will listen to the Commission`s views in its first meeting on September 7 after it was formed last month to devise ways to form a strict Lokpal bill and solve the confrontation between civic society members including Anna
Hazare and the government over the Bill.
While government has drafted Lokpal Bill to check the menace of corruption, civic society has come up with Jan Lokpal Bill with certain powers and jurisdiction which did not find favour with the government.
Hazare was on a 12-day fast from August 16 demanding the Jan Lokpal bill. The fast ended after Parliament passed the `sense of the House` agreeing on his three demands.
The Central Vigilance Commission, which exercises superintendence over the CBI in matters related to offences made under the Prevention of Corruption Act, can undertake an inquiry or investigation against a public servant working in
any organisation under the Government of India and suspected of indulging in corrupt practises.
CVC acts as apex vigilance institution, free of control from any executive authority, monitoring all vigilance activity under the central government and advising various
authorities in central government organisations in planning, executing, reviewing and reforming their vigilance works.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'