CWC meet on Wednesday to discuss drought situation
New Delhi: As drought in the country
threatens to cast a shadow over Congress` electoral prospects
in the forthcoming assembly polls in four states, the CWC at
its meeting tomorrow will ask the government to speed up
measures to tackle the situation.
The Congress Working Committee, the party`s highest
policy-making body, has also invited Chief Ministers of
party-ruled states to facilitate wider interaction on the
The country has witnessed rainfall deficiency of 29 per
cent and the number of districts reeling under drought or
drought-like condition has gone up to 207.
The CWC had discussed the issue of price rise at its
meeting in June when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had
explained to the members the international economic scenario
vis-a-vis the status of economy in the country.
With summer crops being affected because of deficient
rains, the party apprehends that prices of foodgrains could
rise further if winter crops too are hit.
The CWC meeting takes place days after the AICC expressed
concern over price rise and asked the Government to take
concrete steps to make available essential commodities.
Only last week, the party`s top brass, including Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi, had
deliberated on the issue at a Congress Core Group meeting.
The meeting comes at a time when assembly elections in
four states -- Maharashtra, Haryana, Jharkhand and Arunachal
Pradesh -- are expected soon. Of these, Maharashtra and
Jharkhand have declared drought, partly or wholly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city