CWC to meet on Aug 19 to discuss price rise
New Delhi: Concerned over drought in many
parts of the country and resultant price rise, the Congress
Working Committee will meet here on August 19 to deliberate
ways and means to deal with the situation.
"Congress Working Committee is meeting here on August 19
and the agenda is the drought situation", AICC general
secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said.
The meeting is taking place at a time when the party has
expressed concern over price rise and asked the government to
take concrete steps to make available essential commodities.
Only last week, the party top brass, including Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi had
deliberated on the issue at a meeting of the Congress Core
With Assembly Elections in four states -- Maharashtra,
Haryana, Jharkhand and Arunachal Pradesh -- expected soon,
Congress is worried over the electoral impact of price spiral.
The Prime Minister had asked the Centre and states not to
hesitate in taking strong measures against hoarders and
blackmarketeers to check prices of essential commodities in
the wake of delayed and deficient monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown