CWC to meet on Aug 19 to discuss price rise
New Delhi: Concerned over drought in many
parts of the country and resultant price rise, the Congress
Working Committee will meet here on August 19 to deliberate
ways and means to deal with the situation.
"Congress Working Committee is meeting here on August 19
and the agenda is the drought situation", AICC general
secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said.
The meeting is taking place at a time when the party has
expressed concern over price rise and asked the government to
take concrete steps to make available essential commodities.
Only last week, the party top brass, including Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi had
deliberated on the issue at a meeting of the Congress Core
With Assembly Elections in four states -- Maharashtra,
Haryana, Jharkhand and Arunachal Pradesh -- expected soon,
Congress is worried over the electoral impact of price spiral.
The Prime Minister had asked the Centre and states not to
hesitate in taking strong measures against hoarders and
blackmarketeers to check prices of essential commodities in
the wake of delayed and deficient monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued