CWC to meet on Aug 19 to discuss price rise
New Delhi: Concerned over drought in many
parts of the country and resultant price rise, the Congress
Working Committee will meet here on August 19 to deliberate
ways and means to deal with the situation.
"Congress Working Committee is meeting here on August 19
and the agenda is the drought situation", AICC general
secretary Janardhan Dwivedi said.
The meeting is taking place at a time when the party has
expressed concern over price rise and asked the government to
take concrete steps to make available essential commodities.
Only last week, the party top brass, including Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh and party chief Sonia Gandhi had
deliberated on the issue at a meeting of the Congress Core
With Assembly Elections in four states -- Maharashtra,
Haryana, Jharkhand and Arunachal Pradesh -- expected soon,
Congress is worried over the electoral impact of price spiral.
The Prime Minister had asked the Centre and states not to
hesitate in taking strong measures against hoarders and
blackmarketeers to check prices of essential commodities in
the wake of delayed and deficient monsoon.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried at Chandanwadi's Bada Kabristan in Mumbai
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened