CWC to take decision on Telangana: Digvijay Singh
New Delhi/Hyderabad: The Congress Working Committee (CWC) will take a decision on the issue of separate Telangana state, said party general secretary Digvijay Singh on Friday.
The core committee on Friday discussed the issue but left the final decision to CWC.
Digvijay Singh told reporters after the core group meeting at Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s residence that the working committee would take a decision.
"The Congress party has held widest consultations with all political parties, with all leaders and finally the core group has now met the chief minister, the deputy chief minister and the PCC president to take a final view. Therefore Congress shall take a decision in the working committee and will take a decision," he said.
The meeting was attended by Congress president Sonia Gandhi and vice-president Rahul Gandhi and other leaders.
Earlier, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister N Kiran Kumar Reddy, Deputy Chief Minister Damodar Rajanarasimha and state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana made their presentations separately before the core group.
The three leaders believed to have briefed the core committee the political advantage the party may get or the problems it may face if a decision is taken either way.
The Chief Minister, who hails from Rayalaseema region, reportedly explained to the core committee the possible consequences of division of the state. He said if a decision was taken in favour of Telangana state, this may create a December 2009 like situation when MPs and state legislators in Seemandhra submitted mass resignations.
His deputy Damodar Rajanarasimha, a strong supporter of Telangana demand, told the core committee about the political gains the party may drive in the region by carving out the separate state.
He said this would only be a de-merger as Telangana was a separate state before it was merged with then Andhra state in 1956 to form Andhra Pradesh. He conveyed to the panel the strong public sentiments in Telangana for a separate state.
It was not clear what the state Congress chief Botsa Satyanarayana told the committee. He had once remarked that there is no harm if Telugu-speaking people have two states but last week said he prayed to god to keep the state united.
Talking to reporters after the meeting, Rajanarsimha said CWC would meet as early as possible to take a decision. He was hopeful that the CWC would find a solution to contentious issue.
It was a disappointment for Telangana leaders camping in the national capital for two days, hoping for a positive decision.
Leaders from Seemandhra (Rayalseema and Andhra regions), who were also lobbying in the national capital, had stated the core group would not take a decision.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi