CWG lighting proj: CBI case against 6 MCD officials
New Delhi: CBI has registered a case
against six MCD officials and the Managing Director of a
private firm for allegedly causing a loss of over Rs 3.5 crore
in connection with a street lighting project to be completed
by Commonwealth Games due here in October.
Official sources said the case under various sections
of IPC and Prevention of Corruption Act was registered against
Superintendent Engineers D K Sugan and O P Mahla, Accountants
Pradeep Rawat and Raju V, tender clerk Gurucharan Singh and
Assistant Engineer Bharat Singh.
The case was also registered against T P Singh,
Managing Director of Sweka Engineering Works (SEW) and some
The move came after the Central Vigilance Commission
had referred the matter to the agency in February this year.
CBI said SEW had won the bid for upgrade of street
lighting advertised on September 14, 2007.
The order was issued on July 1, 2008 but the
accused officials and others allegedly tampered with the
tender documents after opening of bids in order to increase
the minimum quoted amount.
This was done to avail the difference between the next
higher quoted amount without changing the overall status of
being the lowest bidder, thereby causing a wrongful loss of Rs
3.62 crore, agency sources said.
However, the CBI said the case was not registered in
connection with the Commonwealth Games scheduled here between
An inspection report by the Chief Technical
Examination Wing of the CVC had put sixteen projects connected
to the Games, including the up-gradation of street lighting by
MCD, under its scanner for suspected corruption.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state