CWG mess: Bridge collapses near JLN stadium, 23 injured
New Delhi: In yet another setback to the preparations for the Commonwealth Games, major part of an under-construction foot-over bridge near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed on Tuesday afternoon.
As per initial reports, the incident happened at around 3 pm today when a hanging-type foot-over bridge that was being constructed near the stadium collapsed all of sudden.
Amid contradictory reports about the number of injured, Deputy Commissioner of Police HGS Dhaliwal confirmed that 23 labourers working at the site were injured in the incident out which five are said to be critical and have been admitted to the AIIMS Trauma Centre, while four others have been rushed to the Safdarjung Hospital.
PWD officials and Delhi chief secretary Rakesh Mehta claimed that only two workers were injured in the incident.
As per PWD principal engineer AK Sinha, the bridge was meant to be used by visitors during the commonwealth Games and was being erected using special technology. “It works using a system of pins attached the structure and it seems one of the pin(s) snapped due to the rest of the bridge,” he said.
Fire brigade teams, along with automated cranes, have also reached the spot are working towards removing the debris from the site.
The incident is likely to cause much embarrassment to the Delhi government, which is under pressure to complete the remaining construction work for the upcoming CWG events.
The opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games, the biggest sporting event being hosted by India since the 1982 Asiad Games, will be held at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Oct 3. The stadium, the showpiece of the event, will also host the closing ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof