CWG mess: Bridge collapses near JLN stadium, 23 injured
New Delhi: In yet another setback to the preparations for the Commonwealth Games, major part of an under-construction foot-over bridge near the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed on Tuesday afternoon.
As per initial reports, the incident happened at around 3 pm today when a hanging-type foot-over bridge that was being constructed near the stadium collapsed all of sudden.
Amid contradictory reports about the number of injured, Deputy Commissioner of Police HGS Dhaliwal confirmed that 23 labourers working at the site were injured in the incident out which five are said to be critical and have been admitted to the AIIMS Trauma Centre, while four others have been rushed to the Safdarjung Hospital.
PWD officials and Delhi chief secretary Rakesh Mehta claimed that only two workers were injured in the incident.
As per PWD principal engineer AK Sinha, the bridge was meant to be used by visitors during the commonwealth Games and was being erected using special technology. “It works using a system of pins attached the structure and it seems one of the pin(s) snapped due to the rest of the bridge,” he said.
Fire brigade teams, along with automated cranes, have also reached the spot are working towards removing the debris from the site.
The incident is likely to cause much embarrassment to the Delhi government, which is under pressure to complete the remaining construction work for the upcoming CWG events.
The opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games, the biggest sporting event being hosted by India since the 1982 Asiad Games, will be held at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium Oct 3. The stadium, the showpiece of the event, will also host the closing ceremony.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?