CWG mess: Cong slams BJP for dragging Sonia, PM
New Delhi: The Congress on Wednesday castigated the
BJP for "dragging" the name of Sonia Gandhi and Prime Minister
Manmohan Singh in the Commonwealth Games mess.
"Sonia ji and Prime Minister have nothing to do with it.
BJP wants to do politics on their names," Congress
spokesperson Rashid Alvi told reporters here.
Dismissing Opposition`s allegations against the Prime
Minister and Gandhi, he said, "On one hand BJP talks of
culture, on the other hand it dragged their name into the
issue. It was not proper for BJP to rake up her (Gandhi`s)
name into the matter when she was abroad for a treatment,"
Rejecting opposition demand that heads should roll
following the report by Comptroller and Auditor General into
the CWG mess, he said all ministers of NDA would have had to
resign if any CAG report was made the basis for seeking their
"Even during the NDA time, there was no ministry
about which the CAG had not pointed out issues of financial
irregularity. Had only the CAG report been made the basis of
seeking resignations, then perhaps no minister of NDA would
have been spared," Alvi claimed.
Asked why there were two yardsticks-- one for the Congress
and the other for its ally --as former Telecom Minister A Raja
had to go even before the CAG report was out into the 2G
issues, the Congress spokesperson said that matter was
"Investigations were carried out in the case of A
Raja. His resignation was correct. Now the issue is in court.
It will decide what was right or wrong," Alvi said.
He also said the CAG report nowhere puts any direct blame
on Sheila Dikshit. "CAG report should go to the PAC. If PAC
thinks that certain people are responsible, then action can
take place," he said.
Opposition yesterday targeted the Prime Minister for the
Commonwealth Games mess and over the appointment of Suresh
Kalmadi as OC chief and demanded that heads should roll
besides seeking a Supreme Court-monitored CBI probe.
The BJP accused Sonia Gandhi of "influencing" the
appointment of Suresh Kalmadi as CWG OC chief and alleged that
the Congress was "saving" Dikshit as it knows that the "Prime
Minister is next in line".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers