CWG probe: CBI gathers new details, summons Kalmadi next week
New Delhi: Armed with new details gathered
by its team in London in connection with Queen`s Baton Relay,
CBI has asked former Commonwealth Games Organising Committee
Chairman Suresh Kalmadi to appear before it next week.
Kalmadi has been called to "clarify" some issues which
came to light during the visit of the two-member CBI team to
London in connection with cases related to alleged
irregularities in hiring AM Films and AM Car and Van Hire
Limited during QBR held in 2009, sources in the agency said.
The agency has sent a two-member team comprising
Additional Director V K Gupta and DIG S K Palsania to London
which has got some "clinching" details about the payments
made to the two companies allegedly with the sanction of
Kalmadi, they said.
However, Kalmadi did not respond to SMSes and calls made
to him to seek his comments on the development.
CBI sources said the team now wants Kalmadi to reply to
the new pieces of information on the monetary transactions
with the two companies. The agency had called Kalmadi who has
informed them that since he was out of country, he can appear
only on April 19 to answer its queries.
Sources said the agency had gathered evidence against
Ashish Patel, owner of the firms for allegedly manipulating
certain documents to get undue benefits from the deal with the
help of some OC officials.
"It is alleged that in relation to the QBR held on
October 29, 2009 the OC awarded the work of transportation to
the company namely AM Car and Van Hire Ltd, owned by Ashish
Patel, at exorbitantly high rates...the work was awarded to AM
Car and Van Hire Ltd without following the standard tender
process," the FIR registered by CBI said.
The work was given to the firm on the false promise made
by it that it was on the panel of Indian High Commission,
London, it said.
CBI has registered a total of nine FIRs in different
cases related to alleged corruption in the run up to the mega
sporting extravaganza held here between October 3-14 last
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail