CWG scam contributed to India`s slide in corruption index: BJP
New Delhi: In the wake of reports that India
has slid three ranks on the corruption index, BJP on Wednesday
alleged the huge "scam" in the Commonwealth Games had
contributed to it and reiterated its demand for a JPC probe to
bring out the truth.
"The Commonwealth Games were expected to improve the
prestige of the country. But India has gone down three rungs
to 87th place in the Corruption Index. This has happened due
corruption in Commonwealth Games," BJP spokesperson Prakash
Transparency International`s latest report on
Corruption Index places India at the 87th place.
BJP maintained that truth can come out in the CWG scam
only if a Joint Parliamentary Committee probes it.
"The V K Shunglu Committee and the Prime Minister
should take cognizance of this report. As we have said
earlier, without a JPC probe it will not be possible to bring
out the whole truth," he said.
Asked if BJP felt the Prime Minister`s office was
involved in allowing corruption in CWG projects, he said "if
Sheila Dikshit and Suresh Kalmadi were guilty of commission,
then PMO is definitely guilty of ommission," Javadekar said.
Alleging that the GOM for CWG and the committee of
bureaucrats formed for the purpose of overseeing the Games
preparations were also guilty, he said adding they held
several rounds of meetings to discuss the issues. Some of the
appointments were made directly by the PMO, he added.
"All political players involved in corruption should
also be investigated," he maintained.
The Rajya Sabha MP had recently written a letter to the
Prime Minister suggesting that the Shunglu Committee should be
"serviced" by the Cabinet Secretariat and not the Sports
Ministry as the latter is one of the "accused".
BJP also suggested Prasar Bharti CEO B S Lalli come out
with the "whole truth" about allotment of broadcasting
contract to SIS Live, a UK-based company, for CWG coverage.
Asked if BJP would support an impeachment motion in
Parliament against Lalli, the party said its central
leadership will take a call on the issue if and when required.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read