CWG scam: CVC to give fresh cases of corruption to CBI
New Delhi: The CVC will give some more fresh
cases to CBI to probe alleged criminal conspiracy and graft by
certain government employees in carrying out Commonwealth
Sources in the anti-corruption watchdog said large-scale
financial and administrative irregularities have been found in
about seven cases carried out by certain government agencies
"We have found irregularities in inviting tender for
works and giving undue favours to the selected vendors.
Besides, there has been documentary evidence showing
involvement of employees and owners of private firms who
carried out the works," a senior CVC official said.
The matter was discussed in a review meeting of the
Commission with CBI officials last week.
"CBI has taken all relevant documents and Commission`s
findings on the matter. They will register preliminary
enquiries after due investigation," he said.
The CVC is investigating at least 71 projects worth
several crores executed by civic and construction agencies in
the run up to the mega sporting event held here between
October 3-14 last year.
Sacked OC chief Suresh Kalmadi and secretary general
Lalit Bhanot among others are lodged in Tihar Jail for their
alleged involvement in various irregularities.
"We have received a number of complaints alleging
involvement of former and present functionaries in recruiting
various employees without proper background and qualification
in the Organising Committee. The complaints are being examined
and will be handed over to CBI," the CVC official said.
CBI has registered 15 FIRs for alleged bungling and
criminal conspiracy and named OC, Central and Delhi government
officials and private persons for the wrong doings.
Besides other investigating and enforcement agencies
including CBI, ED and the Income Tax department are also
looking into various violation in implementing the Games-
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users