CWG scam: Two offenders surrender in court
New Delhi: Two promoters of a
Faridabad-based private firm, wanted by CBI for allegedly
using their links with sacked CWG committee chairman Suresh
Kalmadi to secure a lucrative contract for a Swiss firm, on Tuesday
surrender before a Delhi court.
Promoters of Faridabad-based Gem International, A K Madan
and Purshottam Arya, evading arrest since February this year
and declared proclaimed offenders, surrendered before Special
CBI Judge Talwant Singh who remanded the duo to judicial
"Both the accused be taken into custody and sent to
judicial custody," the judge said.
The duo surrendered before the court after the trial
court had confiscated their properties while the Delhi High
Court and the Supreme Court dismissed their repeated pleas to
grant them anticipatory bail.
The court had directed CBI to file by August 18 details
of expenses incurred so far in attaching their properties. It
had also asked CBI to not to attach their immovable properties
if the order relating to it has not been executed so far.
Madan and Arya`s Gem International was a sub-contractor
of Swiss firm `Swiss Timing` which was allegedly illegally
granted the TSR contract causing a loss of over Rs 90 crore to
the exchequer. While remanding the duo to judicial custody, the court
allowed both Madan and Arya to carry their medicines and
medical prescription slips to jail.
The court also directed prison superintendent to get
them medically examined by the jail doctor by tomorrow and
asked him to decide on their pleas for orthopaedic equipment,
notebook and pen as per jail rules.
Besides, Madan and Arya, there are nine others accused in
the TSR scam, with sacked OC chairman Kalmadi being the prime
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan