CWG security to be in place by Sept 15: Chidambaram

Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday sought to assure everyone over the security for CWG.

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram on Wednesday sought to assure everyone over the security being put in place for the upcoming Commonwealth Games in Delhi.

Addressing the press here while presenting his ministry’s monthly report, Chidambaram said all the security overlays will be completed by September 15.

“We will do a final review on September 15 or shortly thereafter,” he added.

A 4-tier security system is being put in place for the CWG. The Delhi Police, NSG and paramilitary forces will take charge of security at all CWG venues. The Army and Air Force will be kept on standby.

India is expecting about two million tourists in New Delhi for the Games, as well as about 10,000 athletes from 71 teams representing 54 Commonwealth member states, which will be held from October 3 to 14.

The 12-day extravaganza will be India`s biggest sporting event since the 1982 Asian Games.

Earlier in the day, Chidambaram reviewed the security measures for the mega event.

Top officials including Home Secretary G K Pillai, Delhi
Police Commissioner Y S Dadwal and senior officials from
intelligence agencies and National Security Guards briefed him
about the measures for the mega sporting event.

Dadwal is understood to have given a presentation on
deployment of security personnel, traffic management and
contingency plan for emergency.

So far, there is no
specific threat to the Games.

According to the security plan, athletes, officials and
guests can visit the Jawaharlal Nehru stadium only by bus and
no VIPs, except the heads of state, will be allowed to take
their cars in. Parking arrangement has been made for 150 buses
at the stadium.

Each of the 13 competition venues for the Commonwealth
Games will have a tight security ring and special arrangements
will be made to transport the athletes to and from the Games
Village. Helicopters carrying commando snipers will keep an
eye on the convoy.

This is aimed to prevent incidents like the attack on Sri
Lankan cricketers in Lahore in March 2009.

To ensure fleet security, each of the 574 vehicles to be
used for ferrying athletes across the city will have to
undergo mandatory anti-sabotage clearance every morning before
athletes board them.

Besides, after the takeover of all venues and the Village,
security agencies will start their work for erecting metal
barriers, tyre busters, CCTV and metal detectors and conduct
anti-sabotage drills.

"The security will be similar to that in Parliament," an
official said.

Mock security drill will be held by security agencies and
electronic bar codes will be provided to authorised cars and
buses.

The security forces are likely to take over the venues
from September 7, a week before the arrival of the first batch
of athletes and officials.

(With PTI inputs)

By continuing to use the site, you agree to the use of cookies. You can find out more by clicking this link

Close