CWG to project India as sporting nation: Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meria Kumar on Tuesday said the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motivate the youth to participate in sports events.
"The Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motive youth, particularly from small villages and towns, to come out and participate in sporting events," she said in the House.
Kumar said, "It is a matter of great pride to observe that a majority of victorious sportspersons are from a rural background. Women sportspersons too have proved their mettle in these Games by excelling in various disciplines," she said.
The Speaker lauded the Indian contingent for winning and
"unprecedented" 101 medals in the event.
"I, on behalf of the House, congratulate all sportsmen and
sportswomen who have won medals for their country. I also
congratulate all sportspersons who participated in the Games
in the true spirit of sportsmanship and friendship," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Supreme Court to hear plea of Army doctors for raising retirement age
- Curfew, restrictions imposed to prevent protests in Kashmir
- Reality check: How will India fare at 2016 Rio Olympics?
- When ‘Unindian’ Brett Lee met Kapil Sharma - See pics
- Hillary Clinton slams Donald Trump, says can’t afford to have president who’s in the pocket of gun lobby