CWG to project India as sporting nation: Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meria Kumar on Tuesday said the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motivate the youth to participate in sports events.
"The Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motive youth, particularly from small villages and towns, to come out and participate in sporting events," she said in the House.
Kumar said, "It is a matter of great pride to observe that a majority of victorious sportspersons are from a rural background. Women sportspersons too have proved their mettle in these Games by excelling in various disciplines," she said.
The Speaker lauded the Indian contingent for winning and
"unprecedented" 101 medals in the event.
"I, on behalf of the House, congratulate all sportsmen and
sportswomen who have won medals for their country. I also
congratulate all sportspersons who participated in the Games
in the true spirit of sportsmanship and friendship," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof