CWG to project India as sporting nation: Speaker
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meria Kumar on Tuesday said the just-concluded Commonwealth Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motivate the youth to participate in sports events.
"The Games will act as a catalyst in projecting India as a sporting nation and motive youth, particularly from small villages and towns, to come out and participate in sporting events," she said in the House.
Kumar said, "It is a matter of great pride to observe that a majority of victorious sportspersons are from a rural background. Women sportspersons too have proved their mettle in these Games by excelling in various disciplines," she said.
The Speaker lauded the Indian contingent for winning and
"unprecedented" 101 medals in the event.
"I, on behalf of the House, congratulate all sportsmen and
sportswomen who have won medals for their country. I also
congratulate all sportspersons who participated in the Games
in the true spirit of sportsmanship and friendship," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing