Cyclone Helen to make landfall near Ongole in AP, evacuation begins
Zee Media Bureau/Ajith Vijay Kumar
New Delhi/Chennai/Hyderabad: Lakhs of people in south coastal Andhra Pradesh are being evacuated to safer place as the state prepares to face severe cyclonic storm Helen.
As per the latest update from the Indian Meteorological Department (IMD), Cyclone Helen lay centred over west central Bay of Bengal around 460 km east-northeast of Chennai, 360 km from Ongole.
It is likely to cross the coast between Nellore and Machilipatnam near Ongole by tomorrow afternoon.
The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) tams are also being deployed all across the region.
Squall winds with speed of 75-85 kmph gusting to 95 kmph will prevail in the region. At its peak, the surface wind speed of Helen would be around 100-110 kmph gusting to 120 kmph.
Helen will cause most parts of southern Andhra and eastern Tamil Nadu, with heavy to very heavy rainfall expected in isolated places.
Helen will also cause storm surge of about 1 to 1.5 meteres height in Nellore, Prakasam, Guntur and Krishna districts.
Sea conditions would be rough to very rough and authorities have warned fishermen not to venture into high seas.
On October 12, Cyclone Phailin, a very severe cyclonic storm struck the Odisha and north-east Andhra coast, bringing in its wake torrential rains and wind speeds of over 200 kmph.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why