Cyclone Nilam: Threat over but ship poses problem
Chennai: Reports said on Thursday that Coast Guard choppers have rescued at least 15 sailors of the Prathibha Cauvery ship, which ran aground on Wednesday off Chennai coast as Cyclone Nilam made landfall.
Search operations are on for the five crew members who are still missing. The body of one crew member was pulled off yesterday.
Authorities are also working to ensure the ship is quickly cleared off the Chennai coast and no environmental damage is caused.
Meanwhile, the cyclone crossed Tamil Nadu last evening without leaving much damage behind, after it substantially weakened before making landfall.
The cyclone crossed the Tamil Nadu coast north of Chennai between Mamallapuram and Kalpakkam. While the scale of destruction was minimal said, a few deaths were reported. Different news sources put the toll between two and four.
In Andhra Pradesh, there were no reports of loss of life or crop damage. Over 60 mandals received four cm of rain during the last 24 hours, a minister said.
Among the deaths in Tamil Nadu, two were rain-related - one in wall collapse and one electrocution from Villupram and Thiruvannamala districts, respectively.
There were official reports of nearly 100 trees getting uprooted and several electric poles collapsing due to the strong winds.
"The storm crossed the coast between 4 pm and 6 pm. Strong winds will continue for another six hours and by Thursday morning everything will calm down," YEA Raj, deputy director general, India Meteorological Department (IMD) said.
The state government in Tamil Nadu has declared a holiday for schools and colleges in the coastal districts today.
Like Tamil Nadu, neighbouring Andhra Pradesh also escaped the Nilam fury. There was no loss of life or property reported from any of the districts in south coastal Andhra Pradesh.
Electricity supply was disrupted in villages under 16 mandals in Nellore district due to strong winds. Heavy rains lashed Nellore, Prakasam, Guntur and Chittoor districts.
In Hyderabad, Minister for Revenue, Relief and Rehabilitation Raghuveera Reddy, who reviewed the situation with officials on Wednesday evening, said the state was not facing any major threat.
The minister, however, said the south coastal districts and the Chittoor district in Rayalaseema region were on alert and taking all measures to prevent loss of life and property. The government deputed three senior officials to Nellore, Chittoor and Prakasam districts to supervise the relief operations.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo