D-U MP demands IPL chief Rajiv Shukla`s resignation
New Delhi: With fresh controversies dogging the IPL, a JD-U member in the Rajya Sabha on Monday demanded the resignation of its Chairman Rajiv Shukla saying the "scam" in the sports body will prove to be "cancer" for the country.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, Sabir Ali (JD-U) said people, who are in politics, should refrain from occupying positions in sports bodies.
"If we are in politics, we should be away from sports (bodies). The Chairman of IPL is occupying a key place in this House and in the Government...IPL Chairman should resign from his post on moral grounds," Ali said without naming Shukla, who is a Minister of State and member of Rajya Sabha.
He said people in this country take cricket passionately as religion and are deeply hurt when they come to know that the matches were fixed. Ali noted people are watching the reports of the sting operations.
He said while the government is not discussing the issue in the House and there are people who want to occupy every post, people are discussing it in streets.
Ali said people of the country are now defining IPL as "Indian Paisa Looto" as people placed in high positions are looting public money through the IPL.
He also referred to the controversy surrounding the IPL during the tenure of its previous Chairman Lalit Modi.
"The scam and fixing in IPL is cancer for the country. Government should take notice of it," Ali said recalling that for last one year Sports Minister Ajay Maken has been giving a statement that there is need to free IPL and BCCI from such things including match fixing.
He said if such practices were not checked in Sports and particularly in the IPL, the country will witness another movement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy