DA case: SC dismisses Jagan`s plea against his arrest
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Thursday dismissed a petition of YSR Congress leader Y S Jaganmohan Reddy challenging his arrest in a disproportionate assets case.
A bench of justices Aftab Alam and Ranjana Prakash Desai, however, sought response of CBI on a separate petition by Reddy, who is an MP, seeking bail in the matter.
The apex court issued notice to the investigating agency after senior counsel Ram Jethmalani, appearing for Reddy, submitted that various principles relating to grant of bail set by the Supreme Court had been overlooked by the Andhra Pradesh High Court and a CBI court judge while denying him the relief.
Reddy had on July 23 withdrawn his bail plea, filed on
July 9, challenging the high court`s order rejecting his plea in the disproportionate assets case against him.
Jethmalani had sought withdrawal of the application on the ground that he intended to file a modified application on the issue.
On July 9, Reddy had moved the apex court seeking bail saying CBI did not have a shred of evidence against him in the illegal assets case.
He had argued that merely being wealthy or in public life does not deprive him of his right to get bail.
In the Special Leave Petition (SLP) filed through his counsel Senthil Jagadeesan, the rebel Congress leader had submitted there was "complete and utter misapplication of the principles governing bail jurisprudence by the high court, leading to deprivation of his right to liberty granted by the Constitution".
In his SLP before the apex court, Reddy, son of late Chief Minister Y S Rajashekhara Reddy, had contended that the high court had denied him the bail merely because of his political position.
The high court had on July 4 rejected Reddy`s bail plea on the ground that he had the propensity to influence witnesses.
CBI had arrested Jagan Reddy on May 27 for allegedly amassing wealth exceeding his legal income.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks