Dalai Lama blames Karmapa aide for cash, land scam
Panaji: Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama Monday gave a clean chit to Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje, whose public trusts have been accused of a land scam and illegally stashing foreign currency in his monastery.
The Dalai Lama blamed one of the Karmapa`s attendants for the scandal which he described as "not serious".
"This thing about Karmapa… it is only the carelessness of some of his attendants. They did not register charity properly. It was his mistake," the Dalai Lama said at a public function in Panaji.
The spiritual leader was in Goa to deliver a lecture as part of a state government sponsored lecture series.
The Dalai Lama also said that the incident would in no way impede relations between India and Tibet, which he said were not just decades old, but went down thousands of years.
"The relation between India and Tibet is that of Guru and chela. India is Tibet`s guru… We have developed a special relationship. This will not be affected in any way," the spiritual leader said, adding that "Tibet`s issues are also India`s issues".
Two aides of the 17th Karmapa, Ogyen Trinley Dorje, last week moved a Himachal Pradesh court seeking anticipatory bail over the seizure of about Rs.7 crore in foreign and Indian currency from the Gyuto Tantric University and Monastery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest