‘Dalai Lama is Gautam Buddha of this era’
Dharamsala: Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal on Thursday described The Holiness Dalai Lama as Gautam Buddha of this era.
Speaking on the occasion of breakfast reception organised for members of the state Legislative Assembly by the Tibetan Parliament in Exile, Dhumal said he hopes the issue of Tibet would be solved quickly. The Chief Minister also underlined the deep-rooted ties between Buddhism and India. There was a time when the religion took birth in India and embraced in Tibet, and now Buddhism’s spiritual guru is in India with us, Dhumal said.
Prof Dhumal also described the Dalai Lama as greatest living Buddhist monk and an apostle of Mahatma Gandhi`s message of peace and non-violence.
Extending his greeting to the delegation, the Dalai Lama said, “India and Tibet share a relationship of teacher and student”.
Hailing the Indian democratic system, the Dalai Lama said he has seen many chief ministers during the last 50 years, which reflects the strength of hoi polloi in the country.
The leader of the opposition Congress Party, Vidya Stokes, said: “We are fortunate and blessed by His Holiness the Dalai Lama`s presence in the state, and we thank him for sustaining Dharamsala as a very beautiful place.”
Addressing the gathering, Tibetan Deputy Speaker Dolma Gyari said: “We would like to extend our gratitude, love and respect to the government and people of Himachal Pradesh for their support towards the Tibetan people in the last more than 50 years.”
The 14th Dalai Lama fled to India fearing for his life in the wake of a revolt in Tibet in 1959.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani