Dalai Lama not a separatist: Archbishop Tutu
Dharamsala: Nobel Peace Laureate Archbishop
Desmond Tutu on Friday described Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai
Lama as the "most peace loving person on the earth," who is
not a "separatist," and asked China to grant Tibet autonomy.
"I want to tell Beijing that his Holiness (Dalai Lama) is
the most peace loving person on the earth. He has no army. He
does not command people with guns. He is not a separatist,"
Tutu, who was on a one-day visit along with his wife here,
"Dalai Lama is loved everywhere in the world. This is the
Holiest person I have ever met. His influence is quite
extraordinary," he said in the presence of the spiritual
leader at an event organised outside his residence at the main
"I wish to say to the Chinese Government, please allow
Tibet to be autonomous. I beg you for the same," he said.
Archbishop Tutu, who is currently on a five-day visit to
India to support the cause of ending child marriage, also
hoped that a day will come when "we will enter free Tibet."
Both the leaders were scheduled to meet in October last
in South Africa when Tutu invited the Dalai Lama to attend his
80th birthday celebrations in Cape Town. However, the temporal
head of Tibetans had to call off his trip at the eleventh hour
after repeated visa delays.
Referring to the incident, the South African leader said,
"Now I can celebrate my 80th birthday properly."
While praising the work done by the Archbishop for the
welfare of the people, the Dalai Lama said "we can feel the
warmth of your love."
"We the Tibetans are passing through a difficult period,
Please pray for us daily," he also said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened