Dalai Lama`s visit to Kumbh cancelled due to security reasons
Allahabad: The proposed visit of Tibetan spiritual leader the Dalai Lama to the Maha Kumbh congregation here has been cancelled due to security reasons, a senior Vishwa Hindu Parishad leader said on Sunday.
"The Dalai Lama`s three-day tour, which was to begin today, has been cancelled as the necessary security clearance could not be obtained from the Uttar Pradesh government," VHP Kashi Prant President Manoj Srivastava said.
However, senior UP government officials have refused to comment on the cancellation of Dalai Lama`s visit.
Srivastava said "the Dalai Lama was expected to inaugurate a Lama Nagar, situated inside our camp, where Buddhist literature and Tibetan artefacts will be on display".
However, "The Lama Nagar will be inaugurated, in presence of our patron Ashok Singhal, by Buddhist monks who had arrived a few days earlier," he said.
"Although there is disappointment over cancellation of the spiritual leader`s tour, his message of peace and brotherhood will nevertheless be disseminated at the ongoing congregation".
The visit of the Dalai Lama, who was scheduled to take part in a number of functions organized at the Kumbh by the VHP, had triggered protests from some religious leaders on the ground that Buddhists did not believe in the "sanctity of the Vedas".
However, the VHP has been claiming that Buddhism "like Jainism and Sikhism, is an offshoot of Vedanta philosophy" and that the Dalai Lama has been attending a number of functions organized by Hindu outfits.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow