Dalai says Chinese more concerned about successor than him
New Delhi: The Dalai Lama Friday said that
the issue of his successor was not a "serious question" for him and that "it is more a concern of the Chinese".
"That is not a serious question for me. It looks like
the Chinese government are seriously looking. I made it very
clear in 1961 that whether the institution of Dalai Lama
should continue or not should be debated," the 76-year-old
Buddhist spiritual head, who described himself as a "son of
The Dalai Lama said that in case majority of people
among the Buddhist feel that the institution (of Dalai Lama)
is not relevant, then it will cease.
"It is not much important for Tibetan Buddhist culture
or people. It is quite silly to think that this should
continue. It depends on the circumstances. But as far as
Tibetan struggle is concerned, we have a politically elected
leadership," he said at the HT Leadership Summit here.
"It (the issue of succession) is more a concern of the
Chinese than me," he said on the issue of succession.
Observing that the 20th century was "the century of
violence", he said, the 21st century should be of dialogue.
"Any conflict cannot be solved by violence. The 20th
century was the century of violence...according to some
historians, over 200 million people were killed. This
immense violence including nuclear weapons failed to bring any
permanent peace to the world, so it was (a) waste."
He said that as far as spirituality is concerned,
various branches of Buddhism have many young leaders who are
inclined and can emerge as good spiritual leaders.
The Tibetan spiritual head said he was an "ancient
messenger of India. Wherever I go, I talk about ahimsa or
non-violence. This is the only country on planet where besides
the home-grown religion, all religions co-exist. Occasionally
there are some problems.
"I am a messenger of ancient India and son of India.
A major portion of my life I have lived in India after
escaping from Tibet. For the last 51 years, this body survived
on Indian dals and rice," he quipped.
Asking Indians to realise their traditional values, he
said, issues like cast and dowry must be addressed very
"Political problems like naxalism and Maoist movements
also nee to be addressed. There is a lot of suffering in that
area," he said, adding within the country, some traditions
must change as they are outdated.
"There are problems in the country, you need to do
some good work and not just nice words," he said.
"We consider Indians as our guru. Indians are guru and
Tibetans are chela (followers). We are quite reliable chelas
(followers)," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni