Dalbir Singh Suhag takes over as new Army chief on Thursday
New Delhi: Lt Gen Dalbir Singh Suhag, whose appointment as army chief had kicked up a row, will on Thursday take over as the next head of the 1.3 million strong force succeeding Gen Bikram Singh who is retiring.
Suhag was designated as army chief in May by the outgoing UPA government ignoring protests from his predecessor Gen V K Singh and BJP.
59-year-old Lt Gen Suhag, a Gurkha officer who had participated in the 1987 Indian Peace Keeping Force (IPKF) operation in Sri Lanka, is currently the Vice Chief of Army Staff.
He will have a tenure of 30 months as the 26th Chief of the armed forces.
Suhag was made the Vice Chief of Army Staff in December last year. Earlier, he had taken over as the Eastern Army Commander on June 16, 2012.
He was at the centre of a controversy triggered by ?Discipline and Vigilance? ban imposed on him by the then army chief Gen V K Singh in connection with an intelligence operation in Assam earlier.
The ban on Suhag, the then 2 Corps Commander, was lifted soon after Gen Bikram Singh took over in May, 2012.
BJP had questioned the "hurry" in making the appointment and insisted that the matter be left to the next government.
However, soon after the NDA government took over, Defence Minister Arun Jaitley said the new dispensation will continue with the appointment made during UPA rule.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon