Dalit attacked for drinking water from pitcher
Hisar (Haryana): In a shocking case of
caste-related violence, a man belonging to the upper caste
almost chopped off an arm of a Dalit youth as he drank water
from his pitcher.
Police said Thursday that Rajendar alias Pappu almost
chopped off an arm of Dalit labourer Rajesh Ranga alias Raju
for drinking water from his container yesterday.
The culprit has been arrested under Section 326 of the IPC
(voluntarily causing grievous hurt by dangerous weapons or
other means) and under various provisions of the Scheduled
Castes and the Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities)
Act, they said.
Ranga, a daily wager of village Sanyana in Fatehabad
district in the state, had gone in search of work in village
Daulatpur near here.
As he became thirsty, he stopped to drink water from the
pitcher of Rajendar, a farmer.
But hardly had the Dalit touched the pitcher, the farmer
got enraged and attacked him with a sickle, badly injuring his
A surgery was conducted on the victim at a local private
hospital where doctors said it might take three months for him
Meanwhile, the district authorities handed over Rs 50,000
to the Dalit youth and a deputy superintendent of police has
been deputed to investigate the case.
District Development and Panchayat Officer Sumit Kumar
said the victim will be provided free treatment by the
Hisar Deputy Commissioner Amit Kumar Aggarwal said senior
district officials visited the hospital to enquire about the
well being of the victim.
The authorities are maintaining a close watch on the
development keeping in mind the 2010 Mirchpur riots in the
state in which a Dalit man and his physically-challenged
daughter were charred to death by some persons belonging to a
higher caste over a trivial matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof