Dalit girl attacked for resisting rape, one held
Lucknow: A teenaged Dalit girl was subjected to brutal attack and one of her ears nearly chopped off while resisting a rape attempt by three youths of her village in Uttar Pradesh`s Fatehpur district, according to the police. One man has been arrested.
The teenager was attacked on Saturday with a sharp-edged weapon in Udauli village in Fatehpur, about 120 km from Lucknow.
"The 17-year-old girl was attacked with a sharp weapon, causing deep gashes on her face and hands, while one of her ears was nearly chopped off," said Special Director General of Police Brij Lal.
According to the Fatehpur Superintendent of Police Ram Bharose, "The girl was intercepted by three young men while she was returning from the fields."
"They tried to gag her and tear off her clothes in an attempt to gang rape her, but the girl used all her strength to resist the assault and raised a loud scream, which alerted some villagers," he said.
"Realizing that they would not succeed in their intended game, they left the girl but not before one of them fished out a sharp-edged weapon with which he hit at her, leaving her critically injured," he added.
The police officer said it can also be "a fallout of an altercation between the girl`s family members and one of the accused, Hari Shankar, during the panchayat elections about two months ago".
"We have arrested Hari Shankar and are on the trail of the other two, who would also be tracked down soon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Kolkata civic body orders testing of bread samples
- Two journalists asked to leave army event as they didn't stand up during national anthem
- Huawei files lawsuits accusing Samsung of violating patents
- In Pakistan's Lahore, school attacked after teacher ''rapes'' student
- Israel's Lieberman agrees terms to join Netanyahu government - spokesman