Dalit MPs oppose Dinakaran impeachment
New Delhi: A section of Dalit MPs belonging to the Congress party have decided to oppose the impeachment motion moved against Karnataka High Court Chief Justice PD Dinakaran, who is facing allegations of misappropriation of assets.
Alleging ‘caste bias’ as the reason behind the move, the Congress MPs are planning to mobilise Dalit MPs belonging to other parties to oppose the motion in Parliament.
The MPs have also sought an audience with party president Sonia Gandhi on this issue.
Praveen Rashtrapal, along with another Congress MP JD Seelam, had raised the Dinakaran issue in the Rajya Sabha on Friday, to which Opposition benches registered strong protests.
Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari had earlier this week admitted the impeachment notice given by 75 members against Justice Dinakaran over land-grabbing allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maharashtra CM inaugurates Maharojgar Melava
- We have RSS training, capable of breaking necks with bare hands: BJP WB chief
- Indian Premier League 2016 Final: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Sunrisers Hyderabad — Preview
- Anirban Lahiri 5th in incomplete second round at Colonial on PGA
- Vijay Mallya seeks dismissal of ED's plea seeking his presence