Dalit MPs oppose Dinakaran impeachment
New Delhi: A section of Dalit MPs belonging to the Congress party have decided to oppose the impeachment motion moved against Karnataka High Court Chief Justice PD Dinakaran, who is facing allegations of misappropriation of assets.
Alleging ‘caste bias’ as the reason behind the move, the Congress MPs are planning to mobilise Dalit MPs belonging to other parties to oppose the motion in Parliament.
The MPs have also sought an audience with party president Sonia Gandhi on this issue.
Praveen Rashtrapal, along with another Congress MP JD Seelam, had raised the Dinakaran issue in the Rajya Sabha on Friday, to which Opposition benches registered strong protests.
Rajya Sabha Chairman Hamid Ansari had earlier this week admitted the impeachment notice given by 75 members against Justice Dinakaran over land-grabbing allegations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi