Dalit PM from Cong in near future: Anil Shastri
New Delhi: The day is not far off when a
Dalit would be nominated as Prime Minister by Congress, a
senior party leader said on Sunday.
"Congress has made 4 CMs in different states in past. Day
is not far when it will give a dalit PM, not for votes but for
dalit empowerment," party leader Anil Shastri posted in
popular microblogging site Twitter.
The statement comes in the wake of Mayawati`s claim that
Congress could appoint Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar or Union
Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde as Prime Minister ahead of the UP
Earlier, AICC General Secretary Digvijay Singh, who is
in-charge of party affairs in Uttar Pradesh, had dismissed
Mayawati`s claim saying that Manmohan Singh would remain as
the Prime Minister.
Shastri, in an another tweet, said, "Mayawati can`t be
the only dalit aspiring to be PM. There are many more
qualified and capable leaders in the Congress."
On the debate over RTI, the Congress leader said there
was a concerted effort from people within the government to
dilute the Act.
"There seems to be a concerted effort by people in govt
to dilute and weaken the RTI which should be resisted by all
right thinking people," he said.
Shastri has expressed his views in the backdrop of Prime
Minister Manmohan Singh`s statement that a `critical look`
must be taken at the RTI Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi