Dalits to rally for Bahujan Lokpal bill
New Delhi: Complaining that Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal bill lacks representation from backward and minority communities, a Dalit organisation will demonstrate Wednesday evening to push for a Bahujan Lokpal bill.
The All India Confederation of SC/ST Organisations has called for a rally at India Gate at 5 p.m. for inclusion of representatives from minority and backward classes in the process of formation of a stringent anti-corruption law.
"The Dalit or minority communities together constitute 85 percent population of the country but the Anna-led civil society does not represent them. Yet it is claiming to be representative of the entire country," said the organisation`s leader Udit Raj.
He said the government`s version of the Lokpal bill and Team Anna`s Jan Lokpal bill have shortcomings and draconian clauses.
"They need to be debated. As concerned citizens belonging to backward and minority communities, we think that a Lokpal Bill must propose a Lokpal, consisting of representative members from these communities," Raj said.
"It is important because the caste prejudices of the members would work against the weak and vulnerable in the process of their work as public functionaries. Even the members of the Lokpal may be subject to such caste and religious prejudices," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read