Dangerous to allow FDI in retail: Murli Manohar
Patna: BJP leader Murali Manohar Joshi on Saturday described as "a dangerous decision" to allow FDI in retail and said as it would deal a blow to the retail business in India.
The move would also have an adverse bearing on agriculture as it would end the economic autonomy of farmers who would be left at the mercy of multi-national companies, Joshi told reporters here.
He said allowing FDI in retail would facilitate multi- national companies to force closure of traders in retail.
The retail trade was the most dependable sector for creation of jobs after agriculture and India had the largest retail trade network in the world, Joshi, who is on a three-day visit to Bihar, said.
He also alleged that the Indian economy was deteriorating due to faulty policies, while production was on the decline and the Indian currency devalued because of the economic policy adopted by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.
He claimed the Prime Minister`s statement that the base of Indian economy was very strong was not dependable.
"PM`s statement that the Indian economy is very very strong is not dependable at all," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez