Dangerous to create separate state after agitation: Omar
Srinagar: Amid talk that a separate state of Telangana could be created, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday warned that this could act as incentive to those agitating for similar demands from others parts of the country.
"It is fine that you have to create Telangana but don`t do it in piecemeals. This way the agitations are being incentivised," Omar told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
He said giving in to the demand of creating a separate state in the backdrop of an agitation was a "dangerous thing".
"An impression is going out that an agitation can lead to creation of a new state, be it in Bundelkhand, Maharashtra, Gorkhaland or in our state. What will you tell people of Jammu -- agitate for seven or eight years and you will get a separate state? This is a dangerous thing," he said.
The Chief Minister said the job of creating new states should be entrusted to the States Reorganisation Commission. "If there is a need to create new states, the job should be entrusted to the States Reorganisation Commission."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL