Dangerous to create separate state after agitation: Omar
Srinagar: Amid talk that a separate state of Telangana could be created, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Tuesday warned that this could act as incentive to those agitating for similar demands from others parts of the country.
"It is fine that you have to create Telangana but don`t do it in piecemeals. This way the agitations are being incentivised," Omar told reporters on the sidelines of a function here.
He said giving in to the demand of creating a separate state in the backdrop of an agitation was a "dangerous thing".
"An impression is going out that an agitation can lead to creation of a new state, be it in Bundelkhand, Maharashtra, Gorkhaland or in our state. What will you tell people of Jammu -- agitate for seven or eight years and you will get a separate state? This is a dangerous thing," he said.
The Chief Minister said the job of creating new states should be entrusted to the States Reorganisation Commission. "If there is a need to create new states, the job should be entrusted to the States Reorganisation Commission."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video