Danish man arrested over arms delivery to India
Copenhagen: A Danish man who has admitted parachuting arms into the Indian state of West Bengal in 1995 has been arrested after officials in Denmark agreed to back his extradition, authorities have said.
A prosecutor said police had long known that Niels Holcks, 47, was in Denmark, but negotiations over his possible extradition had dragged on for years.
"It is correct that we have had knowledge of Niels Holcks`s whereabouts in Denmark since 2001," Birgitte Bundsgaard said yesterday.
"The reason why the ministry of justice decided to arrest him today is partly that it has taken several years to negotiate the terms for a potential extradition with Indian authorities."
Holcks has admitted parachuting four tonnes of arms into West Bengal along with five Russians and a Briton to help locals in their fight against the government.
Denmark has received assurances that Holcks will not be sentenced to death and that he will be sent back to the Nordic country to serve any possible sentence, according to a Danish news agency.
He will appear before a judge today.
Holcks wrote an autobiography two years ago titled "They Call Me Terrorist" and which recounts delivering the arms during a flight that left from Bulgaria, with Thailand as a
India`s air force intercepted the plane on the return flight, but Holcks managed to escape, unlike the others.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray