Dara Singh shiftehome, doctors say less chance of recovery
Mumbai: Wrestler-turned-actor Dara Singh, who has been battling for his life in a city hospital since the last four days, was tonight shifted back home after doctors said he has "less chance of recovery" due to significant damage to his brain.
"He is already home. Please don`t follow us. When he breathes his last, I`ll let you know. There is no hope," his son Vindu Dara Singh told reporters.
The 84-year-actor was admitted to Kokilaben Hospital in an emergency condition on July 7. He had suffered a cardiac arrest and since then he has been in the ICU.
"We had done a MRI and it shows significant damage to his brain due to decreased oxygen supply to brain, when he had a cardiac arrest. There is less chance that he will recover. Chances of him regaining consciousness are also less," Dr Ram Narain, COO, Kokilaben hospital, said.
"There are no medicines that will reverse the brain damage... Only if a miracle happens. He might even slip into coma," he said, adding Singh was put on life support.
The Commonwealth wrestling champion entered film industry in the fifties and is known for his roles in `King Kong` and `Faulad`. He was last seen in Imtiaz Ali`s `Jab We Met` (2007) playing Kareena Kapoor`s grandfather.
The veteran actor had played the character of Hanuman in Ramanand Sagar`s epic television series `Ramayan`.
"As Dara Singh`s condition was deteriorating fast, respecting wishes of his family, he has been shifted home with ventilator and medicines... A nurse and a doctor are at his home," Dr Ram Narain said.
"They (family) wanted him to be at home during the last moment. We have facilitated this," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets