Dawood aide Iqbal Mirchi held in London: CBI
New Delhi: Iqbal Memon alias `Iqbal Mirchi`,
considered to be the right-hand man of underworld don Dawood
Ibrahim, was arrested in the UK on Tuesday.
61-year-old Memon, who is wanted by Mumbai police in
connection with cases related to drug peddling and 1993 Mumbai
serial blasts, was arrested in London by the police for an
incidence of crime.
According to CBI, Memon, against whom an Interpol red
corner notice was pending since 1994, was interrogated by the
CBI sources said they would approach the UK police
through the Interpol and diplomatic channels to seek his
extradition or deportation to India.
Iqbal Mirchi began his career in the underworld as a
smuggler and become a big player in drug peddling around
mid-1980s. A consignment of over 80 lakh Mandrax tablets
dispatched by him was seized.
He acquired the moniker, Mirchi, from his family’s
traditional business in red chilli powder. Most of his wealth
has found its way into real estate.
After his escape from Mumbai, he is alleged to have been
dividing his time between Dubai and London.
He was earlier detained in London but the UK authorities
had turned down India`s request for his extradition at that
point of time.
However, this time, the sources said, they were hopeful
of making a headway with more evidence against him that will
be provided by the Mumbai police.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender