Dayanidhi Maran booked for setting BSNL exchange at home
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The CBI on Tuesday filed an FIR against former Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran and BSNL officials for allegedly allotting 300 high-speed telephone lines to Maran’s residence in Chennai, which were later extended to his brother’s news channel Sun TV.
Reports claimed an FIR was filed following CBI`s preliminary enquiry, which found enough material to proceed with a regular case against Maran and BSNL officials - the then CGM K Bramhanathan and MP Veluswami.
The agency that had registered the inquiry into allegations in 2011 had wrapped up its probe in July.
The CBI sources claim that these 323 residential lines were allegedly in the name of BSNL General Manager connecting the Boat House residence of Maran with the office of Sun TV through a dedicated underground cable during his tenure as Telecom Minister.
The probe had started in 2011, nearly four years after getting complaints that a ‘virtual’ telephone exchange was allegedly set-up at the then Telecom Minister’s for facilitating data transfer from Sun TV.
The agency had recommended action to the then Telecom Secretary in 2007 but the department allegedly did not give its nod in the case.
Finally, the CBI had filed a preliminary inquiry in the case in 2011.
The sources said these lines were not ordinary telephone lines but costly ISDN, capable of carrying huge data thus facilitating faster transmission of TV news and programmes across the globe.
The CBI in its report to the Telecom Secretary had alleged that these lines were for the use of large commercial enterprises to meet special needs such as video conferencing or transmission of huge volume of digital data for which heavy fee is charged but Sun TV got it for free.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon