DCW demands apology from Modi for comments on Tharoor
New Delhi: Delhi Commission for Women on Thursday demanded an apology from Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his comments against Shashi Tharoor`s wife Sunanda Pushkar.
Modi had reportedly referred to Sunanda as a `50 crore girlfriend` during an election rally.
"We have taken suo-moto cognisance of the comments by the Gujarat Chief Minister which we think is totally unacceptable and disgusting, he has to take it back. I condemn any such comments made for political purposes," said Barkha Shukla Singh, chairperson of the Delhi Women Commission.
She said that the Commission would appeal to women across the state to protest against such comments.
"You can`t use a woman for any kind of political comments, this is a public appeal we are making, to protest against such comments made by male politicians," Singh added.
However, when asked about the comments made by Congress leader Digvijay Singh, the DCW chairperson said, "I don`t know what Digvijay Singh has said today, here the issue is about women, be it any woman against whom such comments are made we will be against it, if I come to know about it then only I can say anything, if anything wrong is said about a woman we will appeal against it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon