DCW demands apology from Modi for comments on Tharoor
New Delhi: Delhi Commission for Women on Thursday demanded an apology from Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi for his comments against Shashi Tharoor`s wife Sunanda Pushkar.
Modi had reportedly referred to Sunanda as a `50 crore girlfriend` during an election rally.
"We have taken suo-moto cognisance of the comments by the Gujarat Chief Minister which we think is totally unacceptable and disgusting, he has to take it back. I condemn any such comments made for political purposes," said Barkha Shukla Singh, chairperson of the Delhi Women Commission.
She said that the Commission would appeal to women across the state to protest against such comments.
"You can`t use a woman for any kind of political comments, this is a public appeal we are making, to protest against such comments made by male politicians," Singh added.
However, when asked about the comments made by Congress leader Digvijay Singh, the DCW chairperson said, "I don`t know what Digvijay Singh has said today, here the issue is about women, be it any woman against whom such comments are made we will be against it, if I come to know about it then only I can say anything, if anything wrong is said about a woman we will appeal against it."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...