Deal with chain snatchers sternly: Court
New Delhi: A court here has urged that chain snatchers should be sternly dealt with while awarding one year's rigorous imprisonment to one such criminal.
Additional Sessions Judge Sanjay Bansal dismissed the revision plea of Delhi resident Khalid who was accused of snatching a woman's gold chain in 2002.
Meanwhile, the court modified his simple imprisonment to one year of rigorous imprisonment.
Khalid had challenged a August 2013 magisterial court order that convicted him under charges of theft and use of criminal force for committing theft and awarded him jail term of one year.
"Appellant (Khalid) was involved in a case of chain snatching. Such incidents are on the rise these days," the court said.
"The culprits responsible for such incidents must be dealt with sternly."
According to the prosecution, complainant Rama Jain July 2, 2002 lodged a report with the police inter alia stating therein that on that day at about 9.15 a.m. when she was about to enter her house in east Delhi, Khalid snatched her gold chain, upon which she shouted for help.
Though Khalid tried to escape, people apprehended him.
The order was delivered Monday and released Tuesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!