Death for domestic help in Delhi double murder
New Delhi: A Delhi court today awarded death
penalty to a domestic help for murdering an elderly woman and
her 12-year-old grandson here in 2007 holding the offence fell
in the category of "rarest of rare" case.
Additional Sessions Judge S K Sarvaria rejected the plea
of leniency by the convict Mithilesh Kumar Singh and said "his
act does not deserve lenient punishment".
The court had on July 1 convicted him for the offences
of murder, attempt to murder, robbery and for destroying
evidence under the IPC.
Singh, a resident of Samastipur in Bihar, killed
Karamveer (12) and his maternal grandmother Surjit Kaur, 60,
in their house at Vasant Kunj in south Delhi on March 2, 2007.
The convict, who was working as a domestic help, sedated
their pet dog and killed them before decamping with valuables,
He was apprehended with the help of Mehar Legha, 15,
sister of the deceased boy.
The girl, who was also attacked by the domestic help, had
raised an alarm which led to the accused being apprehended.
The girl was later honoured with the national bravery
award in 2008.
Besides Mehar, her mother Manjit Legha, a teacher of
Delhi Public School, Noida, and her husband, a retired army
officer, had also testified in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert