Death for domestic help in Delhi double murder
New Delhi: A Delhi court today awarded death
penalty to a domestic help for murdering an elderly woman and
her 12-year-old grandson here in 2007 holding the offence fell
in the category of "rarest of rare" case.
Additional Sessions Judge S K Sarvaria rejected the plea
of leniency by the convict Mithilesh Kumar Singh and said "his
act does not deserve lenient punishment".
The court had on July 1 convicted him for the offences
of murder, attempt to murder, robbery and for destroying
evidence under the IPC.
Singh, a resident of Samastipur in Bihar, killed
Karamveer (12) and his maternal grandmother Surjit Kaur, 60,
in their house at Vasant Kunj in south Delhi on March 2, 2007.
The convict, who was working as a domestic help, sedated
their pet dog and killed them before decamping with valuables,
He was apprehended with the help of Mehar Legha, 15,
sister of the deceased boy.
The girl, who was also attacked by the domestic help, had
raised an alarm which led to the accused being apprehended.
The girl was later honoured with the national bravery
award in 2008.
Besides Mehar, her mother Manjit Legha, a teacher of
Delhi Public School, Noida, and her husband, a retired army
officer, had also testified in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui