Death for juveniles: HC notice to Centre
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Wednesday issued a notice to Centre seeking its response on the issue of amending the Juvenile Justice Act to pave way for the judiciary to award death sentences to minors involved in rarest of rare cases of crimes .
The High Court issued the notice in response to a PIL seeking amendment in the Juvenile Act so that even minors can be given capital punishment if found guilty in heinous crimes.
The court asked Centre to file its reply by February 14.
The PIL comes in the wake of growing demands from several quarters to give death sentence to all six accused-including a minor- involved in the shocking Delhi gang-rape case of December 16, which triggered national outrage.
The authorities are due to conduct shortly a bone-marrow test to determine the real age of the 17-year-old youth, who was allegedly the most violent and active during the shocking gang-rape of the 23-year-old medical student that took place in a moving bus in south Delhi late last year .
The sixth accused in the case has claimed that he is a minor even as the family of the late victim, her male friend, legal fraternity and people from several quarters demand death sentence to all six accused.
Meanwhile, a recent survey conducted by a leading media organization has indicated that even common people want the minor to be hanged for his alleged involvement in the heinous crime.
Stricter punishment for gang-rape, denial of bail for crime against women and lowering juvenile age limit to 16 were among the key recommendations made by top bureaucrats and police brass to the government recently.
The conference of Chief Secretaries and Director Generals of Police held in New Delhi suggested increase in punishment for gang-rape, setting up of Fast Track Courts, National data base for sexual offenders and amendments to CrPC, IPC and Juvenile Justice Act.
They suggested that punishment for gang-rape should be higher and Section 509 of IPC needs to be revised, besides amendment to Juvenile Justice Act to lower the age to 16 years and grading based on the magnitude of offence is necessary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow