Death penalty for plane hijackers mooted
New Delhi: Intending to free India of its "soft state" image, the Group of Ministers (GoM ) on aviation security on Tuesday recommended death penalty for plane hijackers.
According to reports, the GoM meet, attended by Union Home Minister P Chidambaram, Law Verappa Moily and HRD Minister Kapil Sibbal, also cleared other amendments to the Anti-hijacking Act of 1982.
Besides the death penalty, several other stringent measures are in the offing - no negotiations, shooting down of a hijacked plane and denying permission to take off if the hijacked plane is on ground.
Dr Manmohan Singh’s government during its first tenure had promised a "zero tolerance" towards such activities and chalked out an anti-hijack proposal, which recommends stringent punishment for plane hijackers.
The draft proposal was prepared by the Civil Aviation Ministry and it was cleared by the Committee of Secretaries few months back.
It was then referred to a Group of Ministers (GoM) to decide on this issue.
After the debacle in 1999, when three dreaded terrorists, including Maulana Masood Azhar, were handed over in exchange for release of 178 passengers and 11 crew members on board the IC 814 flight, several amendments to the anti-hijacking act were recommended to the then National Democratic Alliance government.
When in power, the UPA, brought in the amendment bill in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!