Death penalty will not end rapes: Puri Shankaracharya
Sagar Islands: Jagadguru Shankaracharya Swamy Shri Nischalananda Saraswati of Puri on Sunday said death penalty will not end incidents of rape in the country and women should be placed in a higher position in the society to stop such crimes against them.
"Any disrespect to women cannot be supported, nor should it be tolerated," he told reporters here.
The Shankaracharya, who is here on the occasion of the Ganga Sagar mela, said development of the country is not possible without empowering women and the decadence of the society could only be arrested by involving everybody.
"From the government to the political parties, leaders and the common man everybody should be involved," he said, adding that large scale changes should be introduced in education, culture and social consciousness.
He blamed magazines, newspapers, entertainment channels and cinema for the growing incidences of rape. "These are pushing the youth of today to the wrong road."
- ‘Kaabil’ Hrithik Roshan’s first look out – Here it is
- Champions League: Real Madrid edge past Manchester City to set up all-Madrid final
- AgustaWestland chopper deal: ED to quiz former IAF chief SP Tyagi today
- Sushant Singh Rajput reveals why his ‘Pavitra Rishta’ with Ankita Lokhande ended
- IPL 2016: Shah Rukh Khan thinks his son AbRam could be a mystery fielder – Find out why