Death penalty will not end rapes: Puri Shankaracharya
Sagar Islands: Jagadguru Shankaracharya Swamy Shri Nischalananda Saraswati of Puri on Sunday said death penalty will not end incidents of rape in the country and women should be placed in a higher position in the society to stop such crimes against them.
"Any disrespect to women cannot be supported, nor should it be tolerated," he told reporters here.
The Shankaracharya, who is here on the occasion of the Ganga Sagar mela, said development of the country is not possible without empowering women and the decadence of the society could only be arrested by involving everybody.
"From the government to the political parties, leaders and the common man everybody should be involved," he said, adding that large scale changes should be introduced in education, culture and social consciousness.
He blamed magazines, newspapers, entertainment channels and cinema for the growing incidences of rape. "These are pushing the youth of today to the wrong road."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest