Death penalty will not end rapes: Puri Shankaracharya
Sagar Islands: Jagadguru Shankaracharya Swamy Shri Nischalananda Saraswati of Puri on Sunday said death penalty will not end incidents of rape in the country and women should be placed in a higher position in the society to stop such crimes against them.
"Any disrespect to women cannot be supported, nor should it be tolerated," he told reporters here.
The Shankaracharya, who is here on the occasion of the Ganga Sagar mela, said development of the country is not possible without empowering women and the decadence of the society could only be arrested by involving everybody.
"From the government to the political parties, leaders and the common man everybody should be involved," he said, adding that large scale changes should be introduced in education, culture and social consciousness.
He blamed magazines, newspapers, entertainment channels and cinema for the growing incidences of rape. "These are pushing the youth of today to the wrong road."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das