Death row convicts` kin should be informed in advance: CJI
New Delhi: Amid the controversy over the hanging of Afzal Guru, Chief Justice of India(CJI) Altamas Kabir on Sunday said the families of death row convicts should be informed in advance about their execution.
However, he sought to play down the controversy on the issue saying the past incidents should not be raked up again.
"Procedure as has been in the past, they should have been informed and as far as I know, steps were taken to inform them," the CJI said in response to a question about keeping families of death row convicts informed in time about their execution.
The CJI`s remarks came against the backdrop of the family of Guru, a Parliament attack convict, not being informed about his hanging in due time.
The communication regarding the rejection of Guru`s mercy plea and his subsequent execution had reached his relatives two days after he was hanged on February 9.
The CJI along with Law Minister Ashwani Kumar was addressing a joint press conference after the conclusion of a conference of Chief Ministers and Chief Justices of High Courts here.
"The Law Minister has rightly said these are the issues which have already taken place in the past and I think these things should not be raked up again today. But yes, the principle has always been that the family members were told about when the things would happen," Justice Kabir said.
However, Kumar preferred not to be dragged into the controversy and said, "I do not think that my personal opinion matters...As a Law Minister, I will rather comment on things that will happen in future not what has happened in the past. These are matters which are very subjective. I would rather not comment."
Further, he said the issue of mercy petitions is pending before the apex court and he would not like to comment on sub-judice matter.
"Postmortems can be unending. I am not going to comment on what were or were not the shortcomings. As far as the present batch of petitions are concerned that matter is before the Supreme Court. It is sub-judice. I will certainly not comment on that," he said.
The Law Minister was specifically asked whether Guru`s family should also have been given an opportunity to approach court for stay of his execution.
He also said he cannot speak about delays in deciding the mercy petitions in the past but "there should not be delay in disposing the mercy petitions."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm